2012 Social Media Marketing Industry Report

Social Media Examiner, which is one of the most credible sources of information for social media trends, published an interesting report on April of this year called “2012 Social Media Marketing Industry Report” which summarizes how marketers are using social media to grow their business.   This report is very interesting since it recaps the major social media benefits and challenges businesses face; in addition to the major future developments they are planning to implement in their companies.

The sample size for this report was very large since they reached a large demographic base with small business 2-4 employees (34%) followed by the self-employed (21%).  Twenty percent of people taking the survey work for businesses with 100 or more employees. Slightly more than half (51%) of survey participants focus primarily on attracting businesses (B2B) and the other 49% primarily target consumers (B2C).

The major findings of the report include:

  • Marketers still place high value on social media (83% of respondents)
  • Measurements and targeting are top areas marketers want to master: How to measure ROI of social media (41% of respondents)
  • Video marketing holds the top spot for future plans : Plans to include YouTube and video marketing (76% of respondents)
  • Marketers seek to learn more about Google: 40% currently use, 70% want to learn more
  • Top three benefits of social media marketing: Number one is generating more business exposure (85% of respondents), number two increasing traffic (69%) and proving marketplace insight (65%)
  • Top five social media networks / tools for marketers: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs and YouTube
  • Social media marketing still takes a lot of time:  6 hours or more per week (59%) and more than 11 hours per week (33%)
  • Social media outsourcing underutilized: Only 30% of business outsource some portion of their social media efforts.

This is a must read report for all marketers.  The complete report can be found in the following link:

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/social-media-marketing-industry-report-2012/

Catalina Velasquez, Social Media Student, UC Berkeley Extension

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s